Thursday, May 08, 2008

26 reasons I'm a nerd

I love letters. I know it sounds weird but I’m fascinated by each varied member of the wonderful English alphabet. I sound like an overly enthusiastic teacher spewing cockamamie phrases like “math is fun” and other absurdities but I can’t help it. Maybe I should’ve been a teacher. Nonsense, I despise children (except yours, your child is wonderful). Anyway, to me, each letter has a personality and interacts with the other letters. For instance, T belongs in front of S but somehow got shafted and now has to be after S and S is always boasting and pushing T around. T is male, and S is female. So S is really full of herself and T is too nice to say anything and lets S treat him poorly. It’s tragic really, the constant struggle between the two.
A, B, C and D are a Greek system of sorts and band together against the other letters. In the alphabet world these 4 are the “popular crowd” and make fun of the less socially accepted letters like the weirdo Q and O the fat guy. M and W are dating. It’s cute. Nobody ever expected these two to hook up, they’re total opposites.
Y is elusive, a bit of a recluse. X sits in the back of class and doesn’t raise his hand very much.
Before you label me a complete geek think of your own little oddities. Maybe you relate more to numbers, maybe you can’t go up a set of stairs without counting them, perhaps you pretend you host a cooking show while you prepare dinner or maybe you talk to yourself in the car or in the shower. I think we all have ways to occupy our minds during the downtime. What’s something you do that I might think is weird?

3 comments:

Stacie said...

Does memorizing numbers and zip codes count? I do/did that for a while... Now I'm lucky if I remember your birthday! Getting old SUCKS!

Bobby said...

It is great to know there are other nerds out there. On an even nerdier note, I think the Greek alphabet has it's own story. &alpha and &Omega claim to be the know-it-alls. &rho is dense, &pi is irrational, &theta and &omega are husband and wife, &omega is always trying to change &theta . &phi is their golden child. &Delta and &tau work in politics, &tau is a spin doctor and &Delta works for Obama.

Shannon said...

I feel like you are in my brain... I always host cooking shows in my head while cooking diner. The last two New Years at the coast, with Keri and Marissa, we have actually hosted cooking shows for each other - does that make us nerds? Speaking of nerds...Bobby's comment...what a math nerd! :)