Saturday, October 17, 2009

Green juice: it's so healthy you can stop washing your hands

Totally kidding about not washing your hands, please continue to wash them often.

Take a look at the goodness I'm about to put into my body:

Check out my new blender. I was holding out for a Vitamix but that's not in the budget right now so this pretty KitchenAid will do. I'm accepting name suggestions. So far I'm thinking Sylvia but I'm open.

I bought Sylvia specifically so I could make green juice every morning. Fall is here with sniffles, sneezing, runny noses and headaches. I need to fight back.
If you'd like to stay healthy try a daily serving of this smoothie. My version is modified from Dr. Oz's recipe that you can find here.

My green juice recipe:
2 handfuls spinach
1 handful Italian parsley
1 celery stalk
1/2 peeled cucumber
1 apple
1/2 navel orange
1/4 lime
1/4 lemon
1 sliver peeled ginger
4-5 frozen strawberries
1/4 - 1/2 cup water

You can thank mi madre Rosario for the tasty modifications that make this concoction easier to drink. The added orange makes it sweeter. The frozen strawberries are my own addition. The icy texture helps cover the frothy grit you get from using a blender instead of a juicer. You can juice all the ingredients but then you're missing the pulp which carries all the fiber. Choices, life is full of them. I think you should choose to try this recipe and make your own changes. Sometimes I don't add the celery. If I'm out of lemon or lime I just use a little more orange. There's really no wrong way to make this smoothie unless you substitute spinach for vanilla ice cream, switch out celery for chocolate sauce and omit all the other ingredients. In that case I'd say you're doing it all wrong.

If you follow directions well your drink should come out like this:


The recipe makes about 2 12oz servings. Dan gets to drink it too, he is so excited.

Try it out and tell me what you think.

Now go wash your hands, keyboards are filthy.

2 comments:

amber8184 said...

Well, I must say, that looks a lot more appealing BEFORE it goes into the blender. :P But big, huge, fat kudos for taking the time to do that every morning before work. HO-LY cow. What time do you get up?!

Kristi said...

Holy moly. Mk. Well....it sure doesn't look that great....HOWEVER. If it will keep me from feeling like I do now for the rest of the winter I'm in! Have you ever tried adding a small amount of banana? Wonder what that would do to it? OR some other frozen fruits like blueberries raspberries or mango? All the options!!