Tuesday, March 25, 2008

dairy free me

My inability to run any substantial distance has me second guessing my diet. The sluggishness has to come from somewhere, right? I drink plenty of water, get more than enough sleep and eat lots of fruit and veggies so I am left with one heartbreaking conclusion. It's time to say goodbye to my beloved dairy. This is no surprise, I was diagnosed with a debilitating and potentially fatal dairy allergy about 3 years ago (I am exaggerating; the only side effect to my dairy consumption is lethargy, occasional digestive discomfort of which I will not elaborate and a big ass). Since then I haven't been able to effectively banish dairy from my life; especially cheese which I love SO much. As my gut gets bigger and my chin starts to duplicate I am forced to face reality. So I have put the kibosh on the dairy starting today. There were left over scalloped potatoes from Easter, obviously those had to be consumed last night. So today is day 1.

I present to you my lunch:








See? No dairy. You probably can't tell from the picture but there is no cheese in my sandwich. The chips are plain (and baked, go health).

It will be really hard to not eat dairy. My goal is to last until May 11th, the day of the race. This means no quesadillas, no grilled cheese, no burritos, no cheesy hash browns on weekend mornings, no blue cheese stuffed olives, no pizza, not even simple delicious cheese and crackers. If giving up all that wasn't bad enough I also have to say goodbye to butter, cream cheese, sour cream and dairy creamer for my coffee. I will be honest with you; I don't know if I can do it. If I slip up I'll let you know. Until then I'll be eating carrots and drinking soy milk like a stinky spinning hippie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonder how you got on with the dairy free thing...? My fiance doesn't react to well to dairy, and he gave it up a couple of years ago. I actually just set up a website called Dairy-Free Me for dairy-free recipes etc, and stumbled across your site by accident whilst searching for the name of mine.