Saturday, March 22, 2008

Run Forest!

I don't know what got into me when I decided to train for a 5K. Kristi  and I were at sushi one night and she said she would like to train for something, you know, like assign herself some goal so she doesn't just feel like a hamster on the wheel. I'm paraphrasing, she didn't say it like that. For some reason, I agreed. I went home and looked up the next 5K in our area and emailed her the info. I even found us an 8 week running program titled "the couch to 5K in 8 weeks" or something really appealing that made me think I could actually succeed. So now I'm gasping through week 2 and I'm already $120 in (let's, of course I had to get new shoes). I've already registered and told Dan and my family so there's no quitting. 

I am delusional. I am harboring illusions that I'm this guy (minus the mental retardation):
I am no Gump. I can't just run across the country on a whim. Nobody is going to give me some kind of scholarship for my previously undiscovered athletic abilities. In junior high our PE teacher Mr. Murphy would make us run the Murphy Mile 3 times a week. Those days had me cowering in the corner trying to concoct some mysterious ailment or trying to pass off some falsified note from my parents saying running was against our religion. I went to Catholic school by the way, so yeah, maybe I am retarded.

I suppose 6 weeks from now I'll find out what I can really do. 3 miles is not a long distance for some people but it's just about a marathon to me. I will keep you posted on my progress. In the meantime I'll be out looking for a truckload of adolescent inbred hillbilly Alabamans to chase me and throw rocks. Maybe that will work.

No comments: